[G4] How to get actual kernel panic data?

Bruce Ryan Nakamura galilao at lava.net
Thu Apr 9 21:40:10 PDT 2009

Hello Eric,

I had the same problem.  First the Oahu Apple Store, and subsequently
a local shop named MacMouse Club couldn't fix it.  I lost $1627.73
because MacMouse Club parted out my broken Firewire 400 MDD, and
switched it with a Firewire 800 that couldn't run my OS9 type
software, without getting my consent before doing the switch.  The
problem Frankensteined into a GREAT BIG HASSLE!  Sigh.

My educated guess is that you might have an erratic power supply
problem because that was the only part both the Oahu Apple Store and
MacMouse Club didn't replace.  The logic board was changed by the
Oahu Apple Store.  My hypothesis is that when the power supply
stutters for just a fraction of a second, the CPU freezes or panics.

Perhaps you can hook your power supply up to an oscilloscope and look
at the wave form while the power supply is under a load.  When there
is no load, the wave form might be fine.  However, when the power
supply is running the fan and the CPU, the wave form might break down.

Aloha from Oahu,

Bruce