[G4] Upgrading a Quicksilver 2002 933

John Smutko smutt235 at mac.com
Wed Apr 29 16:52:29 PDT 2009

Hi Andrea-

My Mom is currently running a Quicksilver that I upgraded to a 1.8GHz
MaxPower G4 along with a Radeon 9800 Pro that I got on eBay.  It's
quite snappy and stable running 10.5.6 and has no problem with Java
games or Photoshop.  It's noticeably slow editting video compared to a
modern machine.  Everything I just described also applies to the
similarly equipped Sawtooth I'm typing this on.  I think with the
processor and video card upgrade you'll be quite satisfied, but you
could spend just a bit more than that and get a new Mini that will
mostly outperform it.  My venerable Sawtooth has an SATA card and a
couple of Western Digital 1 TB GreenPower drives in it.  It's destined
to become a fileserver for the home network and I'm going to get a new
Mac as my main desktop machine, eventually.

-John