[G4] Re: G4 Digest, Vol 56, Issue 11

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Thu Apr 30 10:29:13 PDT 2009

Am 30.04.2009 um 00:23 schrieb Andrea Studebaker:

> Thank you Harry, Tom, Eric, Richard and John for your comments and
> suggestions.
>
> One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post is that I almost
> always have a problem playing videos.  They will play for a short
> time, between one and one and a half minutes, and then I get the
> circle of spinning circles in the center of the frame, as though
> it's loading, and it never stops.  This is a real problem, because
> in my duties as an admin on my message board I need to view and
> comment on many videos.
>
> I just had a typical problem.  If you can tell me which log to look
> in, and/or what might be significant, I can post it.  I don't want
> to clog up the list with a bunch of stuff that might be irrelevant.
>
> In any event, here is what happened.  I left the computer on with a
> couple finder windows open where I had been looking at various
> logs, but no applications running.  I was gone about six hours.  I
> came home and moved the mouse to wake up the computer.  The screen
> came up and it looked fine.  Although I could move the cursor,
> everything was non-responsive.  Couldn't click on anything at all.
> I hit the little button below the power button to restart the
> machine (the reset button?).  It came back up and everything was
> fine, but I know you are not supposed to do that often.  I've had
> to do it so much the last couple months.  The problems seemed to
> start around the time the original hard drive died. It has been
> replaced and the problem continues, though less often.
>
> Thanks again,
> Andrea

I love that, my name aside, you're talking to Tom, Dick and Harry.
But anyway..

Can you test whether your computer becomes non-responsive in a
different Mac OS installation? I've found what sounds like your
problem here:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9398245
The final suggestion there is that it may be a flakey sick of RAM.

Eric W.