[G4] G4 Digest, Vol 64, Issue 2, RAM in a G4

J.M.P.Hissel jomph at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 2 16:24:52 PST 2009

On 02-12-2009 23:42, Donald Drennan, donalddrennan at sbcglobal.net, wrote:

> My new Quicksilver Mac says in the System Profiler that the bus is 133
> megahertz, so is the RAM.
> It shows three slots, but one of them says it is empty, eventhough it has a
> ram card in it.
> I tried a couple of different ram cards in that slot, none of them show up in
> System Profiler. I haven't yet tried one from a working slot. I did find that
> one of the ram cards is 512 megs, the others are 256 megs. They all say 133
> megahertz, if they say anything. So, at least I have 768 megs of working ram.
> The third slot may be bad.

First of all you have to check if the RAM sticks have the right specs for
the QS: PC-133 3.3v, unbuffered, 8-byte, non-parity 168-pin SDRAM
To check, goto:
<http://www.chipmunk.nl/DRAM/ChipManufacturers.htm>
(yes, again Chipmunk.nl !) and follow the instructions.

Now: Carefully clean the 168 pins of the stick using a pencil-eraser.
Mount and unmount the stick (one from a working slot!!) a few times and see
what happens. Let us know.

> Thanks for that serial number site.

You are welcome.
For me the most effective way, in combination with the link to apple-history
and Mactracker (free at <http://www.mactracker.ca>), to find out what Mac I
have on hands!

Jo Hissel