[G4] Ancient Tech?

Robert H. Baucom rbtbcm at owc.net
Sun Feb 22 13:55:39 PST 2009

I was inferring that persons not familiar with what you are talking
about, or the meaning of the acronyms, go nearly comatose with apathy
when the that field becomes the subject of conversation.
As a youth I would start to nod as my father and associates would
talk of trouble shooting a vacuum tube radio. There was talk of
cathodes, anodes, variable resistors, tube part numbers
and a lot of things that I didn't understand until I got into
electronics and instrumentation. But at age 12, when older guys
started talking "Radio", I learned how to nod at the right time let
them do all the talking and fake it. When I'm writing something (it's
the common practice in  publishing),  I always spell it out with the
acronym behind it - the first time that it's used.

As Kevin Cameron the Technical Editor of Cycle World Magazine says,
"When the group of men get to discussing engines , "My wife calls it
'Talking Squish Band'."
RHB