[G4] Correct English Flame [Skirmish]

Robert H. Baucom rbtbcm at owc.net
Mon Feb 23 11:50:11 PST 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 10:56 AM, keith_w wrote:

> Jim Scott wrote:

>>> While I appreciate your desire to keep the G4 list on topic about
>>> G4 computers,  I have to say that it does me some good to see
>>> that there are still at least a few people out there that care
>>> about grammer.  With our education system turning out illiterates
>>> in droves - despite spending more money on it than ever - things
>>> like this give me SOME hope that we are not, as the song says, on
>>> the Eve Of Destruction.
>>>
>>> Another Old Curmudgeon.
>

>> And here's yet another old curmudgeon who would remind you that
>> the correct spelling of grammar does not include an "e" in place
>> of the second "a". Also, the correct usage is "people ... who"
>> instead of "people ... that". Since we're in a glass house, so to
>> speak, I'll not cast more stones.
>> :^)
>> Jim Scott
>
> This is a lot of fun, and educational at the same time!
> Keep it up ~ there is room for a little deviation from time to time.
> Especially in the interests of keeping reasonable American English
> alive and well.
>
> keith whaley

     If you wish for this dissection of the English Language to go to
a more academic level, I would suggest that you read "Mighty Fine
Words and Smashing Expressions: Making Sense
      of Transatlantic English" by Orin Hargraves. I bought it for
translation of English Slang and found that while covering the
different meanings between the US and England; it also
     discusses the evolutionary process of the English language's
dynamics in different countries and racial groups.
     RHB
                In America  only the successful writer is important,
in France all writers are important, in England no writer is
important, in Australia you have to explain what a writer is.”
                 --Geoffrey Cotterell