[G4] Flame Wars/Sleep Problems

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Mon Jan 5 13:30:44 PST 2009

Am 05.01.2009 um 13:53 schrieb Mike Bechtold:

> Gentleman and ladies, please...
>
> The gentleman in question has apologized for his
> texting-style English multiple times. Let's keep
> this a civil forum, and the focus on helping each
> other use our Mac's.
>
> Robert: I've read that there is a bug in 10.4 and
> below that prevents a PPC with a USB card from
> sleeping. The bug was purportedly fixed with Leopard.
> Did the problem show up before or after the USB card
> was installed?
>
> - Michael B. in Cincinnati

Re: Language, I think it's remained civil so far. I've seen no
attacks, just opinions being stated.

Re: G5 power issues, my own Digital Audio has had an issue with
shutting itself off mysteriously when using a Radeon 9800 Pro AGP
card which may be some kind of PC-to-Mac flash job. I just know the
problem went away by switching back to the computer's original AGP
Rage 128. As for sleep, this system never does that. I keep it busy
at all times. It does have a USB 2.0 card, though, so now I wonder
whether it would have issues. It runs OS 10.4.11.

And I'm thinking of upgrading it to Leopard once my recently
purchased DVD arrives. Do ye know if I should expect any problems
doing an in-place upgrade like that? The main problem I face is
having a 500 GB drive without much back-up space available.