[G4] Re: video/graphic upgrade

Robert C. Buitron rcbuitron at speakeasy.net
Thu Jan 8 08:44:33 PST 2009

Hi folks,
There was a recent thread on upgrading the video/graphic cards on a G4.
I have a MDD, 800FW, 1.25 dual processor with the original GeForce4 by
NVidia in the AGP bus (slot 1) and the original 17" Apple Studio
Display. I use the machine heavily for photography and some web creation.

Why would I want to (or need to) upgrade the card to say the ATI Radeon
9200? If I got a newer monitor, say the Dell 24" cinema, would the
upgrade help? Do I need an adaptor for the Apple Display Connector to
the DVI-I and is that available at OWC?

When upgrading the video card, do I remove the original and place the
new card in the AGP slot, or do I keep the original and place the new
card in a PCI slot?

Thanks for your incoming explanations and answers. I always follow many
of the subjects that are posted.

Rob