[G4] Mirror Door G4 dual 1 GHz power problems

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sun Jan 11 06:51:56 PST 2009

1. Computer won't start up from the "power up" button unless I pull and
reinsert the power cord.
2. When I do this, it often reverts to an ancient date (1967 as I recall).
3. The PCI ethernet card is reporting an enormous number of recvd errors in
Network Utility.

I've zapped PRAM, replaced the PRAM battery (but found there's still 3.7
volts in the original battery after doing so), and reset the motherboard,
yet all problems persist.

Is it time to give up on this box? It has an upgraded video card that
supports two monitors, 2 Gigs of RAM, and a 250 Gbyte hard drive, so I don't
want to toss it if it's salvageable, but I don't know what to try next.

Currently it's running OS X 10.5.0 (it cannot download the combined 10.5.6
updater because of the ethernet traffic errors; it typically gives up
because of network problems HOURS into the download attempt.

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson