[G4] what type of video card?

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Mon Jan 26 06:52:29 PST 2009

Am 26.01.2009 um 08:06 schrieb c m:

> No one?
>

> --- On Thu, 1/8/09, c m <dachamp_11226 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I want to upgrade the video card in my AGP as video playback
>> is choppy and freezes a lot. i will not be playing games on
>> this machine so will I need a AGP or PCi card with 128MB?
>>
>> I am trying to keep costs as reasonable as possible. And I
>> also have ruled out flashing a PC card since I have no
>> skills to do so.
>>
>> my specs:
>>

>> Machine Name:	Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
>>   Machine Model:	PowerMac3,1
>>   CPU Type:	PowerPC G4  (2.9)
>>   Number Of CPUs:	1
>>   CPU Speed:	400 MHz
>>   L2 Cache (per CPU):	1 MB
>>   Memory:	1.5 GB

I thought this had already gotten responses? Your CPU might be as
much to blame as your graphics card if you're working with very high
quality video files. So, you might consider finding, shall we say,
mid-level upgrades for both your CPU and graphics card. As I recall,
your current card is a Rage 128? Anything Radeon-class would suffice,
since that's about all it takes to have quartz extreme, and that
should be a good benchmarking factor for playing video. As for the
CPU, maybe get some kind of G4 chip over 1 GHz. You'll then have a
very capable system going forward.

If you end up buying upgrades, I hope the computer will last long
enough to make them worthwhile. You never know with older systems.

Eric W.