[G4] Booting from external Drive

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Thu Jun 4 21:17:39 PDT 2009

Am 21.05.2009 um 06:12 schrieb Dale Hoffman:

> I'm going to install an OS on an external USB drive and use it to
> boot a friends iBook G4.
> Currently it won't start so I can't choose Startup Disk from
> Preferences.
> Will his laptop respond to "Option" key at startup for choosing an
> alternate?
>
> Also, any trick to replacing a laptop HDD?
>
> Thanks,
> Dale

Hi Dale,

Assuming the computer boots far enough to show something, I don't see
why holding option wouldn't work. So yeah, give that a try. As for
hard drive replacement, just be careful not to damage those sensitive
little cables they use. But I haven't replaced my iBook G4's hard
drive so far.

Eric Wood