[G4] Booting from external Drive

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun Jun 21 21:04:17 PDT 2009

On Jun 5, 2009, at 5:10 AM, John Niven wrote:

> I replaced the hd in my Al 12" G4. It was horrible. Find
> instructions on-line, and label all screws!

I have downloaded the screw guides and the step-by-step instructions
from ifixit.com and have never had any problem following their guides.
I use double sided tape on the screw guide page to keep track of the
screws as I remove them. Just make sure that you don't let anyone else
be very near while you are working on the laptop. Other people can
bump and lose things while you carefully work.

I have probably repaired more than three dozen iBooks and MacBooks of
all models except for the latest ones. I have replaced hard drives, CD/
DVD drives, PRAM batteries, and even screens on some of the repair
jobs that I have done. I haven't received any new ones to work on yet
is the reason for not having experience with them.

Go ahead while using the guides from iFixIt. You will be amazed at how
technical you can get after doing some of your own work and how much
money you can save by doing it.

Ron