[G4] Using a Mini CD in a Slot Loading Drive

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Mar 7 16:28:37 PST 2009

On Mar 7, 2009, at 1:11 PM, Thomas Bulat wrote:

> I just got a program delivered on a mini CD Disk which apears to be
> about 2" in Diameter.
>
> Is there an adapter so that I might load it into my iMac?

I have no knowledge of any adapter that will let you use a mini disk
in a slot-loading CD player.

If you have access to a tray-loading external CD drive, you could use
it to read the mini disk and then write the contents onto a regular
CD.    BUT----under no circumstances should you ever try to insert a
mini disk into a newer iMac----PERIOD!!!

If you do insert the mini disk, expect to have to remove the drive
from your iMac in order to retrieve the mini disk. I had a client
insert a mini disk into a MacBook Pro. It took over an hour to remove
it.

DON"T, DON"T, and DON"T again, use mini disks with any iMac except for
the tray loading models.

Now that I have written all that, I suppose that you could hook-up
your iMac to an older G3 iMac with a tray-loading CD player and
started up in Target mode, and then transfer the data to the iMac that
way. Of course, that supposes you have access to an older model G3 iMac.