[G4] MDD beginning to freeze up

Brian Deuel briandeueldotcom at lavabit.com
Fri Nov 13 22:29:31 PST 2009

On Nov 14, 2009, at 1:17 AM, Bruce Ryan Nakamura wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My G4 MDD with dual 1.25 Mhz processors that can boot up natively
> in OS 9 is recently beginning to freeze up upon boot up mostly in
> OS 9, in particular when I switch from Tiger to OS 9 and restart.
>
> I switched to my back-up external drive and got the same freezing
> problem. Zapping the PRAM didn't solve the problem. Do I have a
> hardware problem?

Your mileage may vary, but this is the same behavior my MDD (same
specs as yours) exhibited a couple of weeks before my processor card
went up in smoke. Hindsight tells me that I should have pulled the
heat sink off, cleaned the old thermal paste off, and apply new
paste. After the unfortunate event, I did a postmortem and found old,
dried out thermal paste that couldn't have possibly been effective
anymore.

This is not to say for sure that this is what's happening to your
machine. I just wanted to share my experience for you and perhaps
give you something to try that may be effective.

Brian