[G4] Which is faster, a dual 450 mHz, or a single 800 Mhz?

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Mon Nov 30 13:04:36 PST 2009

At 14:55 -0500 11/30/09, Donald Drennan wrote:
Which is faster, a dual 450 mHz, or a single 800 Mhz?

Sorry about pedantry but this is really a terrible example of usage and this time I just can't keep quiet.

450 millihertz is almost 2 billion times slower than 800 megahertz.

And I really don't know what a hz is. Perhaps it's instructions per second which isn't always the same as the clock frequency.

<http://www.physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html>
<http://www.physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html>

And k means kilo, a factor of 1000.
K is a unit of temperature as in "My Wi-fi receiver has a noise figure of 50K".
Ki, kibi,is a binary oriented unit that means 1024 or 2^10 or 3FF+1
Mi, mebi, is another one that means 1024^2 or 2^20 or FFFFF+1

B for byte - 8 bits - and b for bit are acceptable these days unless you're also using bells as in dB for decibel, a logarithmic unit often used to describe sound pressure.

The world will be better off if everyone uses units correctly. If you're not sure spell them out.

--
--> Marriage and kilo are troubled words. Turmoil results when centuries-old usage is altered in specialized jargon <--.