[G4] novice question re leopard

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Oct 8 13:22:34 PDT 2009

On 10/8/09, hecowan <hecowan at islandnet.com> wrote:

> i'm a novice user with a dual 1.25 g4 and am about to upgrade to
> leopard 10.5 from 10.4.11.  one of my concerns is how to update the
> external drive i use to backup my information.
>
> my understanding is that external drives requires a different type of
> formatting for leopard than the earlier os x systems use.  what is
> the easiest and safest way to make the external drive compatible with
> the leopard on my work machine?

Your understanding is wrong. Whatever works with Tiger works with Leopard. What
are you using for your backup? Is it bootable? Whatever it is, ensure that the
ext HD contains the latest bootable backup/clone before updating. Do note that
Leopard doesn't support Classic, so if you are using OS 9, you'll have to make
arrangements to keep a bootable version of Tiger w/OS 9 or Classic available.