[G4] where can I find osx10.4..

Don bgnss at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 20 20:46:52 PDT 2009

>On 10/19/09, Don <bgnss at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>>A friend of mine got it a couple of months
>>>ago. Better than what you''ll find on the web or at eBay.
>>
>> A genuine set of original CD's for the correct machine
>> should be both identical, and cheaper off ebay.
>>
>> Guess I have a hard time seeing how paying $129 could
>> be 'better' than paying auction prices for the identical
>> software... unless of course you like paying the max
>> for the same thing, or perhaps ebay prices are higher
>> than Apple prices (!).
>
>You try lately?

No need.  Reviewing closed items works fine.

>Two, eBay auctions, which are almost closing, are at $145+.

One of those was a 10 client item.  Still your
point would have more value if there weren't such
easy to find exceptions.

><http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mac-10-4-Tiger-VERSION/dp/B0002G71T0/ref=sr_1
>_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1256066609&sr=8-2>
>shows six new from $300 and 9 used from $160.

$300!!!  You seriously believe that?  No wonder you're
happy sending people off to Apple to pay their prices.

Show me even ONE person on ebay who actually paid that
much for a full OSX.4 install.

><http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=mac+os+x+ti
>ger&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9116400928593489183&ei=Xw3eSqPgK5DKsQPZv-3R
>Dw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CC0Q8wIwBQ#ps-se
>llers >
>shows three, the cheapest at $200. Might be worth a look around before
>jumping
>in with both feet.

Might want to be careful how fast you give out
instructions about who ends up with who's feet
where.  Toe Jam might not taste so good.

>My response was based on my friend having the same
>experience trying to locate a copy.

Awwww c'mon.  I KNOW ebay prices can sometimes be
way off base with the real world market prices.

MOST of the time ebay can be anywhere from 5% of the
real (generally accepted) value for stuff all the way
to 2-3 times higher than normal prices.  That happens
at regular live auctions too.

My last line (still there above) said:

> '...or perhaps ebay prices are higher than Apple
> prices (!).

Regardless of that though...

Anybody can highball any price they want to onto any
auction.  Go back and look at some recent auctions
a bit more.  This shows the low end to balance out
the Rolls Royce prices thrown out above.

IOW, if its ok to pitch high prices, here are
a few of the low ones... still too high IMO, but also
still cheaper than both your gold plated prices, and
the Apple quote.

#1: Oct 20 $102.50  18:22
#2: Oct 18 $98
#3: Oct 18 $35.99 (!)
#4: Oct 18 $98.07
#5: Oct 17 $85
#6: Oct 16 $99.99   21:16
#7: Oct 15 $82.56   6:34
#8: Oct 14 $89
#9: Oct 14 $100
#10 Oct 13 $70
#11 Oct 12 $90
#12 Oct 12 $76
#13 Oct 12 $72
#14 Oct 12 $62.22
#15 Oct 12 $95

What I notice is that its possible to get it this
week at $100.  One week ago it was easy to pick it
up for $70-90.

And I didn't even bother to go check out the
other auction sites, nor do a Google on X.4
prices.  Next week might be different too.

Anybody with 3 working brain cells should be able
to figure out that ebay / auctions are about the
most non-absolute place around to get Mac stuff
with the possible exception of swaplist.

My point wasn't to indicate how stupid some people
are for paying that $300 price tag you toss out there
as if it is some natural gospel occurance for people
to actually pay that much.  (Show me ONE auction
where somebody on ebay actually paid that much
for it, who knows, you might get lucky even.)

The point was that it CAN be had for less than Apple
prices if one simply has the gumption to go looking
for themselves.  It just would be a bit more honest
to to balance things out.

So...

>>$129

I don't think so.  Tell ya what.  If YOUR $29 to $59
is so worthless to you, go in the bathroom and flush
it.  Then tell us how much you're not any worse off.

Finally:
The man asked about either the entire program or an
upgrade.

We have ONLY been discussing 'entire program' installs.
So, if we really answered his question right, he'd
be able to spend a bit less yet.

X.3 to X.4 upgrades:

Oct 19 $84.57
Oct 19 $49.99
Oct 19 $49.99
Oct 16 $99 (upgrade)
Oct 16 $99.99
Oct 14 $100
Oct 13 $70

So respectfully...

You might try jumping in with both eyeballs next time.

Don