[G4] What is possible to do with a G4 800Mhz osx10.3.9. and yet keep Logic pro 6.4.1 and Pro Tools 6.2.2./digi001?

Till Wimmer g4-lisz at tonarchiv.ch
Wed Sep 16 07:54:01 PDT 2009

stefan möller wrote:
> *hello!!
> *
>
> *Running G4 800Mhz PowerP with os x 10.3.9.
> *
> *This has been working great but now I find difficulties with
> different tasks on the internet. I Guess my web browser (safari 1.3)
> is not up to date any more.
>
> I have been into updating software before including some of the
> related trouble u could have to that issue.
>
> The main reason why I keep this old system is that I run old verions
> of music software applications like Logic pro 6.4.1 and Pro Tools
> 6.2.2. via
> digidesign digi 001soundcard..
>
> My main qestion is
>
> *
>
> *What is possible?
>
> What is possible to do with this old machine and yet keep Logic pro
> 6.4.1 and Pro Tools 6.2.2./digi001?
>
> How far can I go in terms of software updating?
> *
>
> *ps Some of you may wonder why I keep such old systems.....and the
> answer is ...because I know them Like my own backyard. .. I want to
> make music and not spending my time reading manuals...ds
>

> Sometimes I wish for a computer that is like a steinway or a fender
> stratocaster.
> A model that´s been around for ages (stays the same ...work the same...)
> The only necessary update is to tune it and put on a new set of
> strings once in a while.
>

> I have nothing against development in new technologies for sure.. but
> some times I just wish for some work pease.
>
> salute to all who keep these old machines alive
>
> /stefan möller
> all the best*
Hi Stefan,

nice ode to G4! I fully subscribe to what you wrote.

I run two G4s "Digital Audio" with CPU upgrades. One with a Sonnet 1.4
GHz CPU on 10.4.11 for using Final Cut, the other with a 800MHz MP
(dual) from Quicksilver on 10.3.9 for using Protools.

Most important is to upgrade the RAM to it's maximum (1,5G in Digital
Audio). And then maybe you could put an SATA card and speed up the disk
access. Maybe you find a CPU upgrade on Ebay.

Good luck
TW