[G4] What is possible to do with a G4 800Mhz osx10.3.9. and yet keep Logic pro 6.4.1 and Pro Tools 6.2.2./digi001?

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Wed Sep 16 10:32:15 PDT 2009

At 10:48 -0400 9/16/09, Don wrote, and I SNIPPED:
>its just my rant on those who 'MUST' have
>bran new machines for no good excuse while labelling it
>as a 'need', a small bit of politics, and business in
>general.

The rest badly needed to be said.

I'm preparing this on an 8500 running OS 9. My G4 runs OS 10.3.9 because any newer system will not let me continue to share files with my SE/30 server.

I drive a 1982 Jeep which fits the highway just fine except perhaps that it's hard to stay seated above 55 MPH. I fly a 1957 Piper Apache which still can stay on course and the radios still communicate with air traffic control.

I use oscilloscopes and voltmeters that have RS232 serial ports. They work fine with one of my SE/30s but don't even think about a modern Apple box. You have to spend more than the meters are worth for adapters to USB or ethernet.

But my 5 year old software will no longer work on the internet. Modern JavaScript and Web-2 are introducing things so fast that even two year old software won't work. I believe that to be deliberate as a means to sell new stuff. Even my government has changed - upgraded? - its tax forms so that my version of Adobe Acrobat will no longer fill out the PDF forms. Next spring I shall have to copy my spreadsheet using a pen on the paper forms.

Yes to Ubuntu. To me its a pleasant return to the 70's when the ASR33 and a thermal printer was the interface over RS232 to the shared main frame. If I don't like something in Linux I can and do just change it. The browser works OK with my bank. Linux is quite happy to communicate with my SE/30's both ways while OS neXt is read only with finder's "Connect to Server". And the hardware is a whole lot cheaper.

And yes. I regularly come downstairs in the morning to find my G4 still running with a message that says "I failed to shut down because bbedit refused to quit." On OS 9 I can arrange for MPW to save and quit when asked by the system. Not in OS neXt: the kiss of death interrupt isn't supported.

And one more:  The lady uses OS 10.6 now on her iMac and whonoze what on her iPhone. She buys an app using iTunes and forwards the emailed receipt to me. It's 300 kilobytes of Apple advertising wrapped in an HTML mail envelope that pays zero attention to RFC-2822. I simply can't read it on OS 9.

I'm waiting for GE to insist on changing the gauge of US railroads. Four feet seven and three quarters inches was pretty silly and it's too small. Make it two meters and change all of the rails.  Think how much GE could earn making replacement engines for its P6es that now dominate.

--

-->  Halloween  == Oct 31 == Dec 25 == Christmas  <--