[G4] looking for OS 9.2.2 (late 2002)

Ben Smith ben.smith at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 8 23:46:48 PDT 2010

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:19:46 -0500, Dave Dent wrote:
>> > I have a 4 disk recovery set (OS 9.2.2 & OS X) but that is not
>> > working, it keeps telling me after the first disk "communication
>> > error, check helper tool, application bundle"?  I would like to buy
>> > an original OS9 disk can you lead me in any direction?

This error is probably because of the version of OSX you are running,
assuming you have the correct recovery set for the MDD you need to be
running OS 10.2.8 in order to install 9.2.2, the installer won't work
with newer versions of X.
There is an updated installer utility somewhere on the Apple site
(search support for MDD) that will work with 10.4 (but not I think 10.5
as that does not support classic).
Failing that you may be able to extract 9.2.2 using "Pacifist" and
manually install it.
However as others have pointed out it MUST be the MDD specific version
of 9.2.2 NOT the retail version (the MDD is the only OS 9 capable
machine that CANNOT run the retail version (unless you patch it!) as it
came out after 9.2.2 and needs specific ROM files and drivers for among
other things the IDE chipset).
Ben.