[G4] Using a Mac as a Media Server

RICHARD NORTHOUSE rnorthouse at wi.rr.com
Fri Feb 12 09:53:52 PST 2010

Hi Gang,

I am in the initial stages of trying to develop a home theatre system
with a Mac. I guess one might call the Mac in this capacity,  a Media
Server ??

My goal is for the Mac to store my Cd's, and perhaps videos -- but I
am not sure on the storage aspect -- I don't have a good feel for how
much disk space that would require and furthermore -- what are the
advantages of storing the videos?  I understand the advantages of
storing my music Cd's but I am not sure with the videos?

The ultimate goal is to have my Mac be the focal point of the multi-
media system. I have a G5 that I can use for the project. It consists
of a dual 2.0GHz processor, 1.75 GB of memory, 1000 GB of hard drive
and a 500 GB drive for back-ups.

So I have some questions and can use the help of all you wise folks
out there.

a) I am currently loading my 300+ music Cd's from a Pioneer jukebox
to the hard drive via iTunes. That seems to be going well -- however
after I finish loading these CD's -- what is the best technology to
interface my Mac to my surround amplifier?  The amp has the usual set
of inputs -- analog RCA jacks [ Red(right audio), White(left audio)
and Yellow for video]; S-jacks; digital coax(RCA jack); and
optical(special plug).  Am I right in assuming that either digital
(coax or optical) input should give better performance than the older
analog technology?  But how do I connect the Mac to this amplifier?
Do I need a sound card?  If so which one?

b) After I get the music interfaced, I would then like to tackle the
video. I have similar questions -- How do I get from the Mac to the
amplifier. Can I use the Mac for high definition ?  Again, how do I
connect the Mac to the HD jacks on an amplifier or TV set?  What
interface do I need for this task?

c)  I would also like the Mac to be able to acquire TV signals and
distribute them to the amplifier and TV -- back to the high def
question!

I will appreciate any advice and further insights into this
application of a Mac.

Thanks for your help and considerations.

Rich
Milwaukee,WI