[G4] G4 shut-down woes

Peter Webster petermwebster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 09:58:39 PST 2010

I have an old Sawtooth G4, 500GHz AGP graphics, 1 gig of SDRAM, a scssi
drive, running Mac OS 10.3.9, hooked up to an external Maxtor USB drive and
a FireWire LaCie, with a 17" Studio display.

When I click on "shutdown" the icons disappear, the monitor dims, the
whirling bars rotate, the screen goes dark, and the CPU does not shut down.

I have to push the power button on the CPU itself to get it to shut down.

This has happened occasionally in the past, but is now happening almost
constantly.

I have run Disk Utility, verified and repaired, thinking something had been
corrupted, and also ran Tech Tool Express, all report everything is OK, but
still, this problem.

Any suggestions as to how to rectify this would be appreciated.

I use this old desktop a lot, like the way it is set up, like OS 10.3.9 on
it, and would hate to have it pooch out.

Thank you in advance!

PMW

--
peter m. webster