[G4] adc cinema display _known issues?

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 13:03:01 PST 2010

Stefan,

Are you talking about the later Cinema Display or the early models
that used the ADC connector? The later Cinema Displays are great, and
the image quality on the early ones is good, too, but they used the
Apple Display Connector (ADC). The ADC is a proprietary connector that
Apple used for a couple of years. To use a Cinema Display you must
either use a video card with the ADC connector or have the Apple ADC
to DVI converter (around $130, IIRC, but probably no longer available
new).

Apple's idea in designing the ADC was to provide power, video and USB
through one cable. A good idea, but it added more power load to an
already over stressed power bus structure in the G4s. If the Cinema
Displays you're looking at include the adapters and are real cheap it
might be worth considering. Otherwise I'd pass.

FWIW,
Ron