[G4] adc cinema display _known issues?

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 06:38:43 PST 2010

> I see now and might understand after quick search at the net that there are
> several versions of these flat screens.  There ´s a model in an advert
> called apple cinema display ADC and I´ve found another one called Apple
> Studio Display Lcd TFT. So I´m talkin about all these older flatscreens
> (leaning backwards like a picture of wife and kids at the office desktop at
> work) that I guess were matched for the line of g4:s around that time (let´s
> say around 2001?) .
>
> my qs has an AGP card with both an ADC and a VGA connector.
>
> so I guess I could use the ADC port but it might not be that great
>
> or should I use the VGA with an adaptor and that´s better but not that great
> either.
>
>  according to wikipedia on DVI subject it says:
>
> "The DVI is partially compatible with the HDMI standard in digital mode and
> VGA in analog mode."
>
> so there´s a possibility to connect and ADC screen to the VGA port via an
> DVI adaptor?
>
> Is this correct or am I totally lost?

Using the ADC port with an ADC display runs the power load of the
monitor through the computer, not a good thing, IMO. The video cards
in my MDD G4s have an ADC connector and a DVI. IIRC, you can get
fairly inexpensive ($20) adapters to connect either a DVI or VGA
monitor to the ADC connector, but as I mentioned the adapters to
connect an ADC display to a DVI are fairly expensive. Plus an Apple
display is going to be expensive to repair if you have trouble

Unless these monitors are very cheap I'd look at the Dell UltraSharp
line, the dual input (DVI & VGA) Samsungs or take a look at the 24
inch (Acer?) that Other world has for under $200.

Ron