[G4] The Term " Flash "

Richard Klein richspk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 05:53:47 PST 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:06 PM, John Sparks <jmsparks1 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hello:
> I don't know where to post this Question. I see the term to Flash used,
> usually in conjunction with using a PC item, I believe so it can be used on
> a Mac system.
> I have not found any source or dictionary to define it for me, can you help?

Flash, in this context, means to update the programming on a
non-volatile RAM chip (non-volatile meaning it doesn't clear the
memory every time you shut the power off).  For instance, when you
install a firmware update, you flash the device.  I'm not sure how the
word "flash" came to be used.  Maybe it comes from erasable,
programmable ROM chips (EPROMs) that require(d) the use of IR light to
erase them prior to reprogramming?

--
Rich