[G4] quicksilver g4 1ghz superdrive wont boot

CDT cdt at globaldsl.net
Tue Mar 9 07:30:38 PST 2010

Shane

My main G4 started behaving similarly once upon a time.  I tried
everything I knew and everyone else advised, but eventually gave up
on it, put it in a corner till I could figure out what to do with it,
and got another machine.  I took the HD out of it and put it in the
"new" machine.  The new one started, and I was back in business.  A
couple of months later, I decided to part out the original machine.
Just for grins, I put a known good drive in it and pushed the power
button.  Much to my surprise, it started.  I ran lots of diagnostics,
but couldn't figure out what had gone wrong.

Subsequent investigation made me aware that sometimes you have to
drain ALL power from these things to get them to do a full reset to
all the defaults.  One of the emails in this discussion describes how
to do that in a short time frame.  If that doesn't work, try all
those procedures again and leave it unplugged for a few days.  You
might be surprised.

My G4 that it happened to became my kids computer and it still has
given me no other problems for a couple of years.  It reminds me of
the popular expression about Mac's that "they just work".  Maybe not
every time or without any problems, but this one just decided it
would start working again.  Only thing I can figure is being
unplugged for so long, all charge anywhere in the machine dissipated.

Daniel