[G4] Leopard crashes

KReitz kristen at atmyhome.org
Mon Dec 5 15:11:21 PST 2011

List,

	I purchased and have been attempting to use NewerTech 1.6GHz dual processors, a used product. These processors seemed OK with 10.4 but I didn't run it much choosing to upgrade to 10.5 as soon as possible. I ran into significant troubles with the 10.5 install of Leopard for the installer would not be able to find my SATA drive (on a Sonnet SATA controller). And my DVD drive can not read dual layer DVD's. Even if I used another Mac and Firewire so I could run the DVD, the drive couldn't be found. If I remember right I put the SATA drive into an external case and plugged into a FW port, and through another FW port plugged in another Mac to run the DVD. What a mess to get installed.

	After installation and updates I found that the computer became unresponsive except for the mouse pointer after sleeping. For example I was listening through iTunes music from my media server and could not regain control of the computer. I also found that even with sleep controls set to off the computer would sleep anyway, and again I lose control. I also found that it would spontaneously lock up for reasons unknown while using the computer if an application wasn't active. The logs never reveal a problem. Oh, and Time Machine would back up but fail to recover. I only know it put data on the disk because later I could view the data. It makes one wonder if the processors are any good.

	All these lockups causes me to reboot the machine without calling shutdown. Eventually I lost the drive's partition with an unrecoverable error. So I reformatted and reinstalled Tiger again. This time Tiger seems to work perfectly. Not a single hitch found so far but I only just installed and did updates. Makes me wonder if the upgrade path is too funky and perhaps I should try to reinstall Leopard again. I really do like Leopard over Tiger but if I can't use the computer, well what's the use?

I wonder if others here have experienced this kind of problems from their G4 upgrades and those running Leopard. Perhaps it's best to stay with Tiger so I am researching options

I have a Gigabit G4 (Mystic) with 1.5GB RAM

Thanks for your input

Kristen

Protect your privacy and mine too.
Use PGP to sign your mail