[G4] G4 Wireless

KReitz kristen at atmyhome.org
Sun Dec 18 20:52:38 PST 2011

On Dec 18, 2011, at 2:34 PM, Patricia Courtney wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the response. The hard disc was replaced. Yes. the name of my network is shown but the cone is grayed out. I have tried the assistant, but it tells me that my password is incorrect. I have checked the keychain to get the password but it still tells me that the password is incorrect.
>
> Pat

Since the network name is appearing we know that the network card is OK and networking is enabled.

There are various methods for encrypting on wireless routers (Access Points). So your password will only work with one method. Say WEP as an example, and that password will not work with WPA.

I don't have wireless on my G4, but my G3 iBook running Tiger offers WEP with 40/128 bit hex or ASCII password format. Or just plain old WEP with a password. There is also offered WPA Personal/Enterprise along with WPA2 Personal/Enterprise. Followed by some obscure LEAP and generic 802.1x WEP.

	Thing is, each of these methods of encryption uses a differing form of password. If your attempting to use the wrong encryption method then what your router is setup to use, then your password will not work and you will get the error that your password is incorrect. The only way to know exactly what encryption method your using on your network is to log into your router and look and see what you have it set for. Or you can experiment on your G4 and use your password for each and every method until your password is accepted.  I would think it is easier to log into your router and look.

I hope this helps

Kristen

Protect your privacy and mine too.
Use PGP to sign your mail