[G4] what does this message mean?

D V drteknik at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 30 13:53:47 PST 2011

Dear margaret,

You wrote:

> All of a sudden, when I open my browser I get this message:
> "Redirect Server: Rapid Logic/1.1 MIME-version: 1.0 Connection: close
> and I can't go to any URL address online.
> Also, when I tried going to a location in my history, it started
> downloading the sites elements!

<snip background info>

> margaret

Wow. That's a new one to me.

Sounds like it is something in your browser, not the OS or the hardware.

I would try removing as many auxiliary documents for that browser as
possible...

Places to start looking for prefs and other docs is your Home folder's
Library Folder ( ~/ = Your home folder)

~/Library/Preferences

It should be something like this: com.<author>.<your browser here>.plist

Make sure the browser is NOT running, quit it if it is.

Remove the plist file, put it in a safe place somewhere else in your home
folder.

Launch the browser, and see if that brings up the default setup for the
browser.

If that doesn't work, quit the browser, replace the plist file, telling
Finder to replace the 'newer' file.

Then go to the ~/Library/Application Support

and remove the browser's folder, again putting it in a safe place.

Try launching the browser. If it works OK, you found out what is causing the
redirect...

if THAT doesn't work, replace that folder and go to your ~/Library/Caches/

Again, remove the whole folder for your browser and test the browser.

You may want to do these one-at-a-time, so as to narrow down what is amiss,
or all at once, and test again.

If that doesn't work, I give up...

Cheers

--

D V
drteknik at earthlink.net

I was a Mac user when beleaguered Apple was doomed.