[G4] Hello

Alan Kidner akidner at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 15 03:48:24 PST 2011

Hi List Members

I'm still on the list too!

I climbed in a skip at work to rescue my Power Mac G4 (FW 800).  I
enjoyed bringing it back to life!  Its now fitted with a standard ATX
power supply, flashed GeForce 7800GS PC graphics card, internal 250MB
zip drive, and a striped RAID set on a Sonnet Tempo card.

The machine runs sweetly most of the time but has two slight glitches.
1)  Occasionally in the summer the CPU temperature gets a little high
and the fan kicks in harder and gets a little noisy for a while.  2)
Screen flashes on boot-up for about two minutes before settling down to
work normally.  I believe this is something to do with the flashed
graphics card (but it might also be because its hooked up to a KVM
switch).  I have gone where angels fear to tread and edited a couple of
kext files (NVDAResman.kext and NVDANV40Hal.kext) but this did not
work.  Any suggestions most welcome.

Best regards to all, Alan
(Leicestershire, England)