[G4] Which Computer is Best?

Thomas DeBoni tomdeboni at mac.com
Mon Jun 6 14:04:27 PDT 2011

Interesting thread. I have an old MDD 1000 MHz dual processor G4 PowerMac G4;
it died, but I still have it, hoping to resurrect it, someday. Until then, it's
a potential source of spare parts.

It was faster than most of its contemporaries because it ran off a dual-SCSI
RAID disk setup. At this level of OS (10.4), disk speeds are the greatest
limiting factor on apparent speed, and apparent speed is GUI response speed.

I scrounged a thrown-out 800 MHz single processor G4 PowerMac, because I
still occasionally need to run apps that only run under OS X 10.4, such as
old Classic applications. There are several I depend on, and when I need one,
I fire that old machine up and use it headless, on my LAN, via screen sharing
(that works even if the machine in question does not have a screen, but it
must have been set up to allow it).

I also have an old scrounged dual-processor G5 PowerMac, that runs OS X 10.5,
which I keep around for the same reasons, and use in the same way, as the G4
system.

Neither of these machines is very fast, but they're both plenty fast enough
to do what I want them to do. And they're both paid for. My main system is
now a Core-2 Duo iMac, but the other, older machines are fine special-purpose
servers.

Tom