[G4] Which Computer is Best?

Robert Pearson rrpearson at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 6 18:22:35 PDT 2011

The problem here is that score is reflecting the OS, which takes advantage of multiple processors. Some apps do, some don't. Those that do may run faster on the G4. However, the G5 has a much larger data bus (900 vs the FW800's 133), which means many apps that don't use both processors will definitely run faster on it. Plus the G5 has a 1.5 gb SATA bus instead of an ATA bus. That mean the hard drive has a wider, faster data path, and it can handle larger, more modern hard drives. As far as I know, that makes a big difference in speed. Not to mention SATA's easier to deal wit than ATA.

My advice is to get MacTracker, find your two computers, and compare all the differences, not just the processors.