[G4] G4 MDD drive capacity question

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 11:28:31 PDT 2011

The G3s and, maybe early G4s, had a 130 gig HD limit due (I think) to
controller limits on the mobo. The MDDs could handle any capacity. There are
a couple of issues, though. The first is the lack of availability of IDE
drives these days. It's easy to get around that by using an SATA/PCI card,
provided you have an open slot for the PCI card, of course.

The second issue, the relatively small capacity power supply, is more of a
problem, IMO. I've killed three power supplies putting 4 HDs and two optical
drives in Dual 1.42/G4s. The problem is even worse if you hang one of the
earlier Cinema Displays (with the ADC video & power combo connector) off of
the OEM video card since the display then draws its power through the
computer.

The 350 watt or so supply is just too small for all of that stuff. There is
a guy in Austin (TX) selling rebuilt power supplies for $109, exchange on
eBay.

FWIW,
Ron