[G4] Installing a SATA drive in a MDD

Alan Kidner akidner at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 12 15:32:52 PDT 2011

I was fortunate to pick up a second-hand Sonnet Tempo SATA X4i on eBay
at a very good price.I have hooked up 2 x 250Gb drives in a striped
RAID.Two drives working like one, being good for performance but not
good for data security (if one drive fails the data on both is lost), so
I make sure I do regular backups.

Xbench (bench marking software) scored my RAID on the SATA card 94.73
compared with the normal IDE drive (PATA) at 50.57.Unfortunately, one
cannot boot from this Sonnet card.

The comments about power consumption from Ronnie and John are
interesting.When my power supply died I put a 480W standard PC ATX model
in.Connecting it up was a bit of a game but it was rewarding to make it
work.Notes were posted on this forum in January 2010.

Have fun!  Regards, Alan