[G4] Upgraded MDD Overheats

Gary Sucher gsucher at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 20:04:32 PDT 2011

Hi all,

About 6 months ago, I upgraded my G4 MDD single 1.25 GHz (running 10.5.8)
with a Sonnet DP 1.6 GHz card. I noticed some speed improvement, barely
enough to justify the price (about $175). But I noticed the fans were
working overtime like they've never done before. Loud. I installed
Temperature Monitor and the CPU temps were over 62 c. After a while and some
research I installed CHUD and placed it into NAP mode, which lowered the
temps drastically and silenced the fans. But it too often now froze when not
in use. I need to find a way to cool the computer so as not to use NAP. Has
anyone ever installed the copper heatsink from a 1.42 processor to the 1.6?
Does it fit and does it lower temps? Any fan mods the people can recommend?
Anything else? Thanks.