[G4] DVD Overflow problem

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Tue May 24 14:11:28 PDT 2011

At 13:58 -0700 5/24/11, James Edwards wrote:
I'm trying to burn the contents of a data DVD to another DVD. I copy the contents of the original DVD to a folder on the desktop, then swap DVDs and copy the contents of the folder to the blank. The "Get Info" shows 3.91gB on the blank, but when I drag the blank to burn and click the "burn" button, I get an error message that ""Untitled CD is too big to fit", and shows a 42 mB overflow.

First I thought it was the MAC, so I moved to another MAC, same error. Then I thought I had a corrupted original DVD, so I got another copy, same error. I've never seen this before, anyone have any ideas??

Apple disk writes like to add information . In the old days is tended to be a copy of the desktop database. More recently it's the hidden ,DSStore files in each directory which do the same kind of thing.

It's also possible that the formatting of the new disk is set to create multiple file systems on the blank disk.  That's done so that your disk can be read on non-Apple machines.

Depending on your OS and the selected disk burning software you should be able to find an option to make an image of the disk on your hard drive rather than storing file-by-file into whatever directory structure your hard disk uses.
--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--