[G4] safari upgrade path & crash problem

KReitz kristen at atmyhome.org
Fri Nov 25 15:37:49 PST 2011

On Nov 25, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Tony Dabney wrote:

> I have G4/125GHz and finally figured out where and how to upgrade OS X
> 10.1 to 10.3.9 and Safari 1.1 automatically upgraded to 1.3 (v312).
> I can't log into my bank and netflix says it does not support this
> (older) brouser.
> I can't seem to figure out what the upgrade path is and how to do it.
> Also to upgrede to a newer OS X 10.4 or whatever - is it free or a new
> OS X purchase and what Safari would it have included.

Tony,

	A bit of google searching provides some answers. I find that you might purchase OS X 10.4 on ebay anywhere from about $40 and up. Beware however that you must not purchase 2 disk sets or restore disk of any kind. You must purchase the Retail version or Family version (the same thing) which comes on a single DVD. Other forms of Tiger install disk are for specific hardware and will fail to work on yours.

Apple provides a Safari update for Tiger, version 4.1 at:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Safari_4_0_5

	If you don't mind using a Mozilla browser instead of Safari, try looking at tenfourfox, or Camino web browsers today and see if they will work for you.You should also know if your websites are using flash, your going to have trouble no matter what. Adobe stopped supporting flash for PPC's some time ago (version 10.1 I think). So when you land on a website that demands flash, the site will complain that you need to upgrade your flash player. Which you can't do because there isn't one. When I run into these issues I complain to the website admin for using flash in the first place, or I look for a mobile version of their site, or I go elsewhere. An alternative which hasn't worked out very well under Linux OS's is to use Gnash instead of flash player. I haven't bothered to try it on OS X so I can't say how well it works.

Kristen