[G4] safari upgrade path & crash problem

D V drteknik at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 26 21:04:38 PST 2011

It was typed out:

>> Also to upgrede to a newer OS X 10.4 or whatever - is it free or a new

Upgrade = co$ts
Update = Free

You should be able to check out a used Mac dealer online for Mac OS 10.x.
They usually have 'In The original Box' or 'without box, but the disc is tha
same as <whatever>' software that's a bit more expensive, but guaranteed
good and returnable.

>> OS X purchase and what Safari would it have included.

I forgot, but it's at least 3.x ... I have Safari 4.1.3, upgraded a couple
times from the original version.

> It's likely to remain serious..  I'm using 10.3.9 so my SE/30 file server can
> continue to work and that means Safari 1.3.2.  10.4 kills Classic OS file
> servers by turning off AFP over ethernet.

I use the G4 running 10.4, and I can connect to AppleTalk servers running
Mac OS 8.6. I remember reading somewhere that 10.4 can do 8.6 and 9 servers,
but not anything earlier. (IMHO, 8.6 is way more stable - even with tons of
INITs - that any version of Nein) Oh, I can access the Ten box from Classic
way easier than the other way around.

So you could upgrade your server to a PPC machine running the OS version of
8.6 or <shudder> 9.x, if possible. If you want, you can use a Classic PPC to
copy files to and from anywhere, and maybe open folders from both System
Software 7 and Mac OS X machines, and copy between them using the PPC
classic machine as a gateway and a control. I do that all the time. I would
suggest using Fast Ethernet (100 mbps), and a 10/100 Switch.

> I haven't tried banking on the G4 recently but Google searches have stopped
> working and that hurts.  For about 3 weeks Google has been  showing the first

Since Google started bothering me about my searches, saying they are too
sophisticated and look like a bot's, I use Yahoo, or Ask.com, or Alta Vista.
If you use something else than Safari, there may be alternate search engine
you can 'install'.

My bank's web page kept timing out running javascript in anything earlier
than Tiger 10.4, so it's a problem with the web master's choice to make it
fancy and otherwise be difficult. (I dislike web pages that take forever to
load, even on DSL and using a G4 - 876. It's the javascript formatting of
stuff that should be a simple presentation.)

> search page for a few seconds and then manages to crash Safari.

Safari can be cantakerous. Use something else, like iCab, or Camino, or
Firefox. Besides, the version of Java available to 10.3 is old, and has
nasty bugs, upgrade to Tiger ASAP.

Using 10.4, you'll find it's just about the last version of X that anyone
still makes modern software stuff for. Otherwise, you'll have to go looking
for the older software. A pain, I know, but sometimes it works.

This is one page I got a PPC optimized browser For 10.3:

http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2007/02/24/firefox-2002

Here's another (R P Mosley does the posting), and it should have a variety
of PPC-only builds:

http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk/

I think there's a couple other sites, but since I already have the ones I'm
interested in, I don't bother.

Classilla is up to 9.2.3

BTW, this message is sent from a 7600/G3-300 running Mac OS 8.6, using
Claris Emailer 2 to get email, because it absolutely refuses to render HTML
mail messages, and Outlook Express to send. OE ignores my commands to use
plain text, and renders the incoming HTML anyway, much to my annoyance.

P.S. I use Cyberdog 2 in Classic in 10.4 as an occasional browser for
pictures. It renders the image directly, not on a page.

Cheers

--

D V
drteknik at earthlink.net

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." -- Bertrand Russell