[G4] Flash was locked

KReitz kristen at atmyhome.org
Wed Oct 12 10:46:42 PDT 2011

List,

	I got my dual processors to run finally. I did get a reply from OWC and a link for the ROM file. But that didn't help out right off. Every time I put the disk in the computer to apply the firmware patch the computer ignored it and would load the OS instead. This is the problem I had been having when I tired to use a copy of the damaged disk that came with the processors. I had reasoned that the data was corrupted since the disk was so heavily damaged. And that might still be true.

	After a lot of research I started learning about OpenFirmware and experimenting with firmware commands. I found that when I tried to boot the ROM file from the firmware interface, I received a warning that the flash was locked. I had very recently updated the firmware with Apple's 4.2.8fl update. Odd that the flash was locked eh? I used the command 'setenv security-mode none' and booted the update again. This time the patch was applied. I installed the processors and everything is working.

This has taken a couple of weeks of work and struggle to get accomplished. Who would have known that the flash was locked after Apple's update? I thought that perhaps this would be of interest to someone one day.

Now to find a video card so I can hook my digital monitor to the computer. Any suggestions?

Kristen