[G4] Apachie on the Mac

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Thu Oct 13 11:09:57 PDT 2011

At 09:19 -0500 10/13/11, Justin Porterfield wrote:
>You could try either the MAMP or XAMPP project, they bundle everything you need to have a web server and both seem to have pretty good documentation on their respective sites.
>
><http://www.mamp.info/en/mamp/index.html>http://www.mamp.info/en/mamp/index.html - MAMP
><http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-macosx.html>http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-macosx.html - XAMPP
>
>On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Mark Eastwold <<mailto:marke at knology.net>marke at knology.net> wrote:
>

>Is there available somewhere out there a Dummies Guide for Apachie?
>
>I'd like to turn one of the G4s here into a server and the information to
>set up Apachie I've found so far seems to be rather sparse or for the
>uber-geek.

Apache has an active mailing list. There is a lot to be learned by just reading the postings.  But. . . Their answers to questions are often fairly geeky even though they are correct. There must be an archive but I haven't been there. A message to List-help would likely reveal it.

O'Reilly "Apache, The Definitive Guide" 1-56592-528-9 is where I learned most of what I know. There's surely a newer version by now.

Apache is a UNIX daemon that monitors a port, usually 80. You do have to understand that much about the basics of UNIX. It's a lot easier than understanding Lion gestures, believe me.

--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--