[G4] G4 Digest, Vol 83, Issue 2

wmb1204 at fuse.net wmb1204 at fuse.net
Fri Sep 16 07:16:32 PDT 2011

Kristen: I have a G4 Digital Audio, upgraded to an Acard 6290M 2-channel SATA card from OWC. It makes a good difference in boot times, and supports large drives. I've run both 10.4 and currently 10.5 on this machine with no difficulty or need for changing settings in the OS. The only thing I haven't tried is to run both SATA and PATA drives together. I haven't tried SSD drives.

I also upgraded to a single 1.6 GHz processor, but frankly, the biggest bank for the buck I found was a flashed GeForce 6200 video card that I bought on eBay. The single core processor upgrade did make a noticeable difference in speed, but it's no home run, and for the money required for a dual processor one can find G5's that are faster than any G4 ever will be. For a little more, one can get an Intel mini that's faster still. You just don't get to play with upgrades with a mini...~(;^})=....