[G4] Hard drive upgrade options?

Harry A. Freeman gifutiger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 08:51:34 PDT 2011

Greetings Kristen,

I have a MDD 1.25Ghz Dual Processor (167Mz Buss) and I have a ACARD
6280M installed which is currently connect to a Samsung 500Gb SATA
Spinpoint HDD which is my main boot disk. The ACARD 6280M is also
connected to a SeaGate 750Gb SATA drive which is used my system backup
drive. Also in my system is a Western Digital 120Gb and a Maxtor 120Gb
(OS 9.2.2)

I use to have the ACARD 6280M in my 1999 G4 PowerMac AGP Graphics
(100Mz Buss.) I used the AGP Graphics along with the ACARD 6280M for
more than 10 years, just recently moving into the MDD. I upgraded the
AGP to a 1.4Mz processor.

The only weird thing is that the SATA drive show up in the "System
Profiler" as SCSI drive, oh well they work just fine so who cares.

I also have a combination of 5 HDD in external drive cases 3 of which
are connected via USB 2.0 and the other 2 are connected via Firewire.

Since one of the features of have a RAID drive is that you can remove
one of the drives in case there is a failure without shutting down the
system. Well that wouldn't work very well as both of the drives are
contained in the second drive case within the MDD and there wouldn't
be any way of removing one of them without removing the drive cage
which has a power connector that requires a major operation to remove.

IMO the Gigabit isn't fast enough to warrant a SSD drive, most SATA
drive can furnish data as fast a the Gigabit can use it!

Cheers

Harry
San Jose, Ca