[G4] G4 Won't Keep Time Current - Goes Back To 2001 When turned on

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Jan 10 00:44:39 PST 2012

On Jan 9, 2012, at 1:44 PM, dean loren wrote:

> Anyone know what might be trouble when
> G4 resets to 2001 when its turned on.
>
> Is there a battery that needs to be changed?
>
> Also desktop ram is very limited.
> Every time my hard drives get a few extra gigabytes - the get info on gigabytes goes blank on all of the hard drives.

The other replies that have been posted all agree that your internal battery is dead or dying. Replace it at your soonest convenience and reset some of your preference settings such as time/date, mouse speed, etc.

The other issue that you raise is not very well explained. Hard drives are not able to increase their capacity and cannot "get a few extra gigabytes". When additional information is stored on a hard drive, it should show up in the "Get Info" command a few moments after that addition. You do have to wait for the calculation of available space to be performed before that information will show up. It would show up in the information indicating the "capacity" of the drive and the "available capacity" of the drive. But, there should be no difference in the original capacity, so I cannot understand what you mean by your posting.

Perhaps you mean something else?

It would also help to diagnose the problem by posting a more complete description of your system and the action you are performing when the problem appears. The more information that you give us, the easier it is to solve your problem.