[G4] mounting partitions across separate drives

Tina K. penguirl20 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 09:59:46 PST 2012

On 2012/01/17 01:08, Kristen R so eloquently wrote:
> But using this old ATA-33 drive and interface has really slowed the machine down.
> Has anyone ever tried to use the default IDE interface to boot yet used a SATA
> interface for the root directories?

I don't see why not. You could keep /System on the slow drive, put /Library and
/Applications on the SATA drive with symbolic links on the boot drive that point
to the SATA drive.

Heck you might even be able to put /System on the SATA with a sym link to it on
the PATA. Or you might not, I've never tried it or heard of it being done.

I run ~ on a seperate drive, but instead of using a sym link I option clicked on
my account settings in System Prefs -> Accounts and used that to put ~ on another
drive.

Tina

--

Acceleron: HP Presario 2.8GHz Celeron D 2GB RAM Discrete graphics XP Pro
Luxo Jr: iMac 20" USB 2 1.25GHz G4 2GB RAM GeForceFX5200 Ultra 64MB VRAM 10.4.11