[G4] (G4 Digest, Vol 92, Issue 1) Airport

D V drteknik at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 26 12:28:35 PDT 2012

Dear Scot "Bruce" Nakamura, et alia,

You wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The numbers on mine are T/N 36V04964  APN: 630-2883/C.
>
> This older wireless card might not be able to connect with today's WPA
> encryption.  My recollection is that I could only connect with no
> encryption and no password at all.  This means that all your
> transmissions will be in the clear and anybody with a wireless card,
> PC or Mac, can access your network.
>
> Hopes this helps,
>
> Scot "Bruce" Nakamura

I have a QuickSilver G4 with a pre-installed Airport (not Airport Express,
nor Airport Extreme) card.

I'm running Tiger (Mac OS(UNI)X 10.4).

When I turn the Airport card on (via the menubar item) and select the item
to 'Create network...' in the menu list, I get a dialog box titled
'Computer-to-Computer'

It lists the following items:
Name: <text edit box>
Channel: <listbox selection, 1 to 11 inclusive>
and a 'Show Options' button, that when pushed, opens the dialog pane further
to a set of selections:

a checkbox for 'Enable Encryption (using WEP)' with
'Password: <text edit box>'
and 'Confirm: <text edit box>'
'WEP key: <listbox selection>'

So, there is *some* encryption, even if it's weak...

Hope this helps...

Cheers

--

D VanderYacht
drteknik at earthlink.net

"Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army." - Edward
Everett