[G4] G4 airport card password

D V drteknik at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 29 19:51:40 PDT 2012

Dear Norm,

(Please, everyone, do as the header suggests, and specify your messages a
bit more than just "Re: G4 Digest, Vol 92, Issue 3 (Norm)" ... Thanks in
advance...)

You wrote:

> G4 installed airport card wants a password. Tried many ways to erase
> installed password but it will not go away so can not put in one on my
> own. This card was bought on eBay and will work if I can put a new
> password. Any ideas? Need any more information. It shows up in system
> preferences and will turn on but needs a password to become active.
> Norm

Wahat exactly do you mean by "will turn on but needs a password to become
active"? I have never seen anything like that on my G4. If it's on, it's
active, period.

My G4, running Tiger (10.4) has a Library folder at the root level (on the
hard drive when you open its icon).

As far as I know, there is no password storage in/on any Airport card. It's
all in the Airport config and keychain files...

Try this:

Shut the Airport card off

Go to <your HD> --> Library --> Preferences --> SystemConfiguration -->
com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

Remove the 'com.apple.airport.preferences.plist' file by clicking and
holding the (second or right) button down (along with the 'ctrl' key if you
are using a one-button mouse) till you get a contextual menu that has the
'Move to Trash' menu item. (Or select it and press command-delete.) Select
'Move to Trash' contextual menu item, and the System will ask for an admin
password before it moves the file to the Trash. After it moves the file,
turn airport back on, see it make a new file, then close all the windows (by
holding down the 'Option' key and clicking a close button, or by pressing
command-option-W).

Make sure you use the 'Sharing' pref pane, select the 'Internet' tab and in
that sub-pane, click the 'Airport Options' button, which *should* let you
re-do the airport prefs with your 'new' password.

If that doesn't work, there may be something wrong with your keychain.

If it's your keychain, the only suggestion I can make is to run the Keychain
Access app and run Keychain First Aid (command-option-A) after you select
your own keychain. If it's someone else's keychain, have fun creating a new
one and making the Mac use that as the login keychain.

That's as far as I can go ... everything else is beyond me.

Cheers

--

D VanderYacht
drteknik at earthlink.net

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick
boxing." - Emo Philips