[G4] Invisible flash drive on G4

Ronald Sweet ronald_sweet at rogers.com
Sat Mar 3 16:02:29 PST 2012

I have a Gigabit Ethernet Dual Processor 500 Mhz Power Mac G4 with 120 GB hard drive and a 5-port Belkin USB 2.0 card. OS X 10.4.11.

I also have a Staples Relay 2 GB Hi-Speed USB 2.0 flash drive, formatted Mac OS Journaled HFS+ (originally formatted FAT).

The flash card mounts as it should on an iMac11,2 and a MacBook2,1.

But its icon does not show up on the G4's desk top. Nonetheless, the G4's About This Mac/Hardware/USB recognizes it under USB High-Speed Bus/Mass Storage, and gives its Mount Point as /Volumes/Flash Disk 1. Disk Utility also recognizes it, this time as 2.0 GB Generic Flash Disk, Flash Disk 1, with its Mount Point again /Volumes/Flash Disk 1. But because no icon of the flash drive shows up on the desk top, I cannot open it to use it. Nor can I select the icon to drag it to the trash when I want to remove the flash drive. The Device Removal dialog box therefore comes up: "The device you removed was not properly put away. Data might have been lost or damaged. … " (none has been so far).

Can someone tell me what needs to be done to make this flash drive mount on the G4?

Ronald Sweet