[G4] Invalid Sibling Link

Kristen kristen at atmyhome.org
Sat Oct 13 01:51:57 PDT 2012

On Oct 10, 2012, at 11:49 AM, H F wrote:

> Okay, will do, but what exactly does this accomplish?
>
> > From: harry at gifutiger.com
> > Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:40:35 -0700

~SNIP~

> > Howard, I would suggest that first you do a PRAM reset, then do a
> open firmware reset.

	This will likely do nothing at all to help. Your issue is with the
file system on your hard drive. And your problem usually means your
hard drive is starting to fail so backups become your friend very
quickly. This problem can also be caused by other problems, like
hooking up external hard drives and not unmounting them correctly. In
which case the hard drive is just fine, its only a damaged filesystem
which requires cleaning up

> > They system then will reset and then you can again enter single
> user mode. After entering single user enter "fsck -y" enter.
> > If you use Applejack yhe first thing that applejack is to run t
> fsck -y unix command.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Harry

      This list bit of advice is what you really need. The command
fsck is issued from a shell and means 'File System Check'. This runs
a UNIX utility which checks out the filesystem on your hard drive.
The option -y tells fsck to not query you for a yes/no response, but
assume 'yes' for all queries. This fsck command also calls fsck_hfs,
which is a more specific checking utility. But if fsck_hfs fails for
some reason you might not really know why. If your error persist it
would be worth your while to try fsck_hfs specifically.

For all utilities you can open Terminal and type "man <command>" to
learn more.

Did you resolve your problem?

Kristen