[G4] eSATA external drive fails to mount ?

Harry Freeman gifutiger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 17:00:24 PDT 2013

Greetings,

Hi I'm a little late to this discussion, however I had a similar problem.
I was using a BYTECC external "Super Speed USB 3.0 - 2.5 SATA External Hard Disk" case with a 320Gb drive. I purchased a 1Gb 2.5" drive that I wanted to install in my Mac mini, so when it arrived I pulled out the 320Gb 2.5" drive and installed the 1Gb.

To my surprise it didn't boot. I looked like I had received a BAD drive. Checking with "NewEgg" they suggested that I try a different external drive case. Well sure enough it was the external drive case. The guts of the BYTECC couldn't read the 1Gb drive.

Formated the drive, installed OS X 10.8.5 and installed into the Mac mini.

This may not be your problem, however you might want to look into a different external case. The one I got for less than $20.00 is a NexStar®TX 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure.

Cheers

Harry
San Jose, Ca