[G5] Is this list still functional? imac G5 AWESOME

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 3 18:46:05 PST 2004

I got my new G5 imac a couple weeks ago.  Sold my G4 Cube on ebay for
about $950 and rolled it into this imac.  What an upgrade for $550.
1.8 GHZ CPU - 64 bit CPU, Superdrive, 17" screen ....    My MacAlly 2
button/scroll wheel mouse works perfectly - no 3rd party mouse stuff.

The only bones I have about this thing is the RAM included at purchase
(256) is way too little - like starving a lion.  I will purchase the 2
x 1 gig 3200/400 RAM chips after Xmas.  Hate to wait but maybe the
price will drop a bit with the increased demand and production that
follows.  I checked the RAM usage and my system is using it all with a
< 2 gig VirtualDisk on the HD.  Thats a big swap disk.

The fans make a bit of noise - way more than the totally silent Cube (I
was spoiled), but with the computer only 18" from your face I can
certainly understand why I hear them.  Acceptable to me.

The speakers are good, but again, I had Harman Kardon USB speakers with
the Cube - maybe a nice USB isub Soundstick (H&K again) - always wanted
an excuse to get this junk.

Well, the price of my imac was $1499 but the RAM is $430 and the
SoundSticks are about $110 shipped on ebay, so total costs will be
about $2000.00 easily.  The Cube would never reach this level and I
could have easily tossed a grand or so at it to perk-up as best it
could.

Overall, I think this was an excellent purchase and I dare you to show
me a Windows box that fetches anything more than 'next to nothin' after
5 years of good use.  One of the main ingredients to this satisfaction
with my purchase is the resale value of my previous system.  I sold a
G4 Sawtooth 400 MHZ last year for $500 and my 450 MHZ Cube for $950
last week - THIS IS FREAKIN AWESOME RETURNS that only Apple styling and
software can produce.  Now I must admit that both of these systems had
maxed RAM and upgraded HDs that help-ed sell them but ....

I am finding the new keyboard a little sensitive for my use.  I tend to
stomp the keys fully with my 5 or 6 digit typing and this board is set
up perfectly for a touch typist.  I keep getting double keys, like ew
or as or 0o as I go for letters.  Got to get used to this a bit more.

Anyways that's my review to date.

jj